What to do if smoking hookah gives you a headache and nausea?
Many hookah fans have probably faced a situation when after smoking they suddenly feel worse and experience some headache, nausea and discomfort in the chest area.
These unpleasant symptoms are usually called a ‘hookah hangover’ or ‘hookah disease’, and they often ruin the mood. Fortunately, negative consequences can be easily dealt with, and it is even easier to avoid them.
Contraindications for hookah smoking
First of all, it is necessary to understand in which case it is forbidden to smoke hookah due to some medical reasons. Among such contraindications are:
- hypertension or high pressure;
- diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- susceptibility to allergies and weakened immune system;
- thrombosis and thrombophlebitis;
- asthma, tuberculosis, and other lung diseases.
You should also keep in mind your safety. If you plan to smoke hookah in a large company, consider that you may get serious airborne infections through the mouthpiece. So smoke only with those who don’t have any health issues and use disposable mouthpieces for preventive measures.
What are possible negative consequences of hookah smoking
Some visitors of hookah houses share some unpleasant consequences, such as nausea, impaired movement coordination, general weakness and headache after smoking. In especially severe cases it even leads to a short-term loss of consciousness.
There may be a feeling that a person is in a state of intoxication – one’s walk becomes unsteady, and the perception of sounds, smells, and colours exacerbates.
Most often, negative symptoms occur in case if people have problems with blood pressure, but sometimes they are experienced even by perfectly healthy people. Let's consider what can cause problems and make people feel bad after smoking hookah.
Reasons for hookah poisoning and ways to prevent it
The probability of negative consequences is significantly increased if a person smokes hookah on an empty stomach. That is why it is recommended to eat well before going to a hookah house.
Another reason may be dehydration of your body. While smoking hookah, body liquids evaporate quickly, so a person should constantly drink water, tea or milk. It is desirable not to add sugar to drinks. In addition, by providing your body with a sufficient amount of fluid, you will take care of the heart.
Poor quality charcoal, ashes in the bowl, and poorly ventilated room often cause headaches and nausea. The same unpleasant symptoms can also be caused by excessive amounts of charcoal used in the smoking process. In this case tobacco will burn too fast, resulting in an intense release of carbon dioxide.
If you want to avoid negative effects of hookah smoking, first of all you should pay attention to the following features:
- Hookah model - your health after smoking will depend on its quality, so it is better to choose a safe and reliable hookah, for example, Nanosmoke Classic.
- Mouthpiece - it is an accessory which performs not only as a decorative element, but also serves for protective function. This is the part of a hookah which constantly interacts with the smoker’s body, so it must be made of environmentally friendly and hygienic materials.
- Coals - in many ways the pleasure of smoking and how one feels after smoking depends on the quality of the coals. They must be good at keeping the heat, must have no foreign smell and must be free of chemicals. One of the best coal types is coconut charcoal, the combustion process of which is much slower than that of analogues (burns 4 times longer than wood charcoal). You mustn’t ever use for hookah ordinary coal which is not intended for smoking. It often contains chemical compounds that accelerate and simplify the ignition.
- Tobacco - the entire process of smoking depends on how well the proportion of tobacco has been maintained and clogged. If you are a beginner and smoke hookah at home, it is best to use a small amount of tobacco to avoid negative consequences.
Another tip relates to the rate of smoking. Sometimes unpleasant symptoms occur if a person is in a hurry and takes too many puffs at once. Remember that hookah should contribute to relaxation and rest, and not turn into a competition on speed.
How to deal with unpleasant consequences
If you do feel uncomfortable, let us consider how to get rid of nausea and other negative symptoms after smoking.
First, you should leave the stuffy room and go out to get some fresh air. If you can't leave the apartment, open the windows or balcony. Sit down, because dizziness, disturbance of coordination, and a state of light intoxication may lead to a fall or loss of consciousness.
If you experience severe headaches after hookah, drink water or milk and have a snack. Non-fat foods rich in carbohydrates and citrus fruit (source of vitamin C) will help the body recover and ease the pain. A cup of coffee will also help to fight negative symptoms.
If these symptoms persist for a long time, it is better not to self-medicate and see a doctor.
Try to stick to these simple recommendations, visit only acknowledged and well-known hookah houses and buy quality products, and then you won't have to worry about unpleasant consequences.
Relax and enjoy hookah smoking any time!
Thank you for reading this article - we give you the promo code buynanosmoke for purchasing our products for a discount of 7$!